5 Engagement Shoot Tips
Have you booked in your engagement session and have lots of questions going on in your head like what to wear, what to bring etc? You’re in the right place for your questions to be answered and for 5 Engagement Shoot Tips that will help prepare you for your lovely engagement shoot.
1. What should we wear?
Here are a few tips I like to share when you’re thinking about what to wear for your e-session:
Avoid being too matchy-matchy. You’ll want to wear something to complement each other, not copy! (Using a pop of color to tie both of your outfits together always works well).
- For women, avoid shirts that are baggy or super-loose. Sometimes the camera can exaggerate the looseness in the clothing, which can cause people to appear more round than they really are.
- Feel free to bring an outfit change (one casual look, one dressy look). It’s always good to switch things up a bit and if we change locations, it will essentially be like you had two photoshoots.
- Solid coloured clothing items are great, and if you want to bring in a pattern, have only one person wearing the pattern.
- Wear what you feel comfortable in. If you’re not comfortable in what you’re wearing, it often shows in the images.
- If you are planning on wearing heels, I would also recommend bringing flip-flops or other shoes that you can be more comfortable in while walking in-between shots.
- Try on everything a few days before the shoot. You’ll want to make sure your clothes fit correctly and you don’t have distractions from lines, bra straps, poor fitting clothing, or wrinkled clothing!
2. Should I get my makeup professionally done?
There are many benefits to getting your makeup done professionally:
- Makeup looks different on-camera than in-person, and a professional makeup artist will know how much more makeup you’ll need to show well on camera and make you look your best!
- Your skin will look better in-camera
- It’s a great trial run for your wedding day! You can find out what works and what doesn’t, and make adjustments for your wedding day.
3. Should we bring props?
This is completely up to you! If there are certain items that reflect something about you guys or your story that you would like to incorporate into photos I would encourage you to bring them (hats, fun shoes, a pet, sports equipment, a car, bicycles, etc.)! If you have any fun signs or other props for a great “save the date” shot for you to use, bring those as well. It’s completely up to you.
4. Is there anything else we should bring?
You can bring powder to help eliminate any shine on the skin, lipstick, and hairspray for any flyaway hairs. Other than that you’re good to go! Be ready to have some fun and get some great photos!
5. Where should we have the shoot?This is completely up to you! I can certainly make suggestions and recommendations based on previous engagement shoot locations, I have a whole list of great places in fact! If there is somewhere particularly special to you both or where you got engaged, that’s always a lovely location for your shoot. If it is abroad, I’m more than happy to travel if expenses are covered! Forests, fields, farms, beaches etc all make great locations, maybe think outside the box and go somewhere quirky with graffiti if that suits your personality.
I hope you found my 5 Engagement Shoot Tips useful!
If you haven’t booked an engagement shoot yet but are considering doing so, check out my blog post on why you should have an engagement shoot – https://www.lucylouphotography.com/why-have-an-engagement-shoot/